Thursday, June 24, 2004

New Legislation

I am putting in for new legislation that allows for the immediate imprisonment of people who write emails without proper grammar, punctuation, or sentence structure. Who's with me? I mean, seriously, in my work, I get emails from people all over the world and I would bet that a good 90% of them require the use of a Urim and Thummim to decipher.

An email could go something like this: Well i was using ur produt and it jsut stoped working, can u help me i really need 2 get this working by tomorrow and on top of that my grandmother of 91 years died yestrday and wer havin a funrel 4 her and i hve thee cats and a pig and 4 horses, they dont need much for food just some hay and oats evry once in a while, and then this gy came up 2 me and sed can u tell me what time it is and i told him to take a hike and then he just pushed me over and i fell on my nose and it turned inside out, i was running up and down screeming becuz my noz was inside out, but then the firemen cam and told me 2 be still and thei took a rok out of my noz, so u see i need u too help me with my program, my license code expird 7 days.

Now, I gave you all the luxury of SPACES between the words. Somepeopledon'tevendothat. It's really annoying. And whatever happened to the proper usage of it's/its? And since when did the word macros (plural of macro) have and apostrophe in it (macro's)? I don't claim to be perfect in my selection of verbiage, but at least I know how to write. (Do not complain about the preceeding two sentences starting with 'and.' That is acceptable under certain circumstances.) What's absolutely amazing about this whole thing is that I can receive an email like the one modeled above from a PROFESSIONAL person. This is not email from some trailer-trash person living in a van down by the river. No, this person might very well work for an insurance sales office, or a hospital. How do people get hired with these types of writing styles? I was always taught that when you are in a professional environment, you should always write in a professional manner, using complete sentences and proper punctuation and spelling. I can maybe understand bad grammar from someone who doesn't really know English, but I get this type of stuff from people in the Queen's England. What's up with that? It's just really annoying to me. I don't like to rant constantly about life because it's mostly good, but if there was ever a pet peeve of mine, this would be it. I think that our dependence on instant messaging and cell phone text messaging has led us into a spiraling vortex of writing inabilities. Yes, I use instant messenger and I must admit that my grammar and punctuation isn't very proper in that forum, but when I am conversing with someone in a professional manner, I make sure that my grammar, punctuation and spelling are as close to 100% as they can be. Quick emails with a small instruction on meeting times or something related, I can excuse for their poor grammar, but descriptions of problems and requests for service? Sorry, it just makes me not want to help these people because I may boggle them with my proper English.

Anyhow, I'm done venting... I think we should do something about this. Any ideas? ;)

I shall see you all later! ;)