Friday, October 08, 2004

More Political Stuff

Kudos to all who have voiced their opinion politically in this very heated season. It is our responsibility as citizens of the United States to elect leaders who will be leaders. I am not going to claim pertainence to a particular political party or that I support publicly either President Bush or Senator Kerry. I believe that both these men have what they beleive to be the best interest of the American people in mind. I have to respect that. I just got done watching the 2nd Presidential Debate. It was quite a good debate. Both candidates were very sharp and knew what they were going for. When I watch debates like this, it only makes me more proud to be an American. How many people are there in the world who would give all that they posess to be able to have democratic elections? This is a great gift to us and we need to cherish it. Countless people have gone before us in defending the freedoms that we lazy Americans take for granted. I am often saddened that I can go to the polls and go in and vote and hardly see another soul there. I have heard reports that in some countries, when a democratic election is held, more than 100% of the population votes. That only means that people are going out and voting more than once! These people are so grateful for the opportunity that they are filling the polls.

With regards to your own political colors, I can't say that the Republicans are all right, but in the same breath, I can't say the Democrats are all right. The job that falls upon us humble citizens is to vote our conscience. We need to support the candidate and not the party that best reflects our personal values. If I were to say that I support the Republican party (which, by the way, I have been accused of before) I would have to say that I completely embrace all of their creeds and tenets. I can't say that I agree with everything that the Republican party embraces. The same goes for the Democratic party. It is my job, like I said before, to study the issues and make a decision on a candidate who best fits my opinions.

I feel like I have just preached a bunch on here and have been a political sort of rallyer with a mission to bolster support for some idea. I hope that I haven't been that way. I just see, especially in college, how people have this tendency to forget what it means to vote. Guys, if there is one message that I can leave with you, it would be to get out and vote. You probably have ancestors who fought or perhaps gave their lives for the freedoms that you now enjoy. Think of the American Dream. It's a glorious thing. However, it comes at a price. Nothing that we have came to us just because we looked good or something. Someone had to pay for it. We need to vote and protect the luxuries we now enjoy. I'm proud to be an American.

Terrorism must fall. It's not going to be an overnight, poof! it's gone, thing. The war on terror isn't really a war that can be won in the sense of winning a traditional war. It's sort of like the war on drugs. In case any of you have perhaps forgotten, we are still engaged in the war on drugs. But, in the terror arena, whether George Bush or John Kerry has the right plan is up to us, the people of this great nation, to decide. Now is the time to take the power into our own hands. Please get out and vote.

Whew! Had to get that out of my system. Hey, it's been great to see all the stuff posted on here by all of you! I certainly miss the companionship of the band hall, but as happens in people's lives, things change and we move in different directions. I have very little free time anymore, but that's okay. I still would like to get together with y'all and have a get-together, party-esque thing-a-majig. I wish I wasn't so blasted beat down after each football game. Keep in mind, y'all, that I don't play my trunket as much as I used to so making it through the game is a real chore. :) This is a fun band this year. I am glad to be at least superficially involved in it again. It was very hard to leave the marching band last year. It was hard for me to not be in the Symphonic band this semester. I keep the option open for next semester, possibly. :) I've got to get my trumpet fixed first, though. It got a really bad dent in it a couple of months ago and now it just plays differently.

Well, you all have probably gotten really tired of listening to me gab on. All right. Fine. I'll cease and desist. But, before I do, I must give another political jab. Please make sure that your Shockwave player is up to date and then direct yourself to Atomfilms.com. You should watch the films called "This Land" and also the newest creation, "Good to be in D.C." Hehehehe. I think you'll laugh at both.

Chao!