Thursday, October 14, 2004

Just a comment about Voting

Did any of you read the comment in the school paper Wednesday concerning voting?

I accually couldn't tell if they were being srious about not voting if you felt that you didn't know anything. It seemed that they were accually advocating NOT bothering to find out ANYTHING about the candidates, and that if you didn't care one whit about it, that's ok too. Don't worry, your vote won't count for anything.

Perhaps they meant to be satirical. I couldn't tell. It really irked me though. This election has shown such a dramatic increase of voter registration. College students usually don't care about these things, they're to buisy, and they think, Why? it'll never affect me? Well, my friends, that's because they think that. it's self fulfilling prophecy.

Anyhow, i just wanted to vent. I have a hard time with a school paper who is accually advocating not voting. I agree with whomever it was that thought that Denmark does it right, where you have to go to the polls, even to mark that you don't want to vote. I believe it might make it worth some people's time to enlighten themselves a little. That and it gives them an excuse to complain about the elected official. I believe that if you didn't vote, you have not right to complain.

-Kristin Schill