Friday, January 14, 2005

Musings

Sanibonani!
I'm up later than I in reality (or Jinglesþula, whichever you're currently feeling more aligned with) should be -- so I hope all you my fellow blogizens will be patient. The first part of this blog is addressed primarily to Andrew Schvaneveldt (the wise and noble director of Jinglesþula II), but is useful for all; read on.

Speaking of my first parenthetical comment above, the life of a Band Geek is closer to Jinglesþula than real life. By which... as Strong Sad would have it.

Speaking of other things:
Whoa, whoa, whoa unto the Californian Surfer-dudes
(And sea-turtle types)

Andrew, I am willing and able if you are. There is none among us who has school on the 17th - and yet the Stick, in which the glorious undertaking has been going forth (and I must say, primarily as my product. I am forced to admit that I have gone forward on many occasions without asking any input at all from the others) shall be to the best of my knowledge open at least for a few hours. You can, I know very well, come down. I will even facilitate you -- Shall we say, lunch for those involved is on me. But you must come down, or else accept forever several versions of this film. Thus Walter Cronkite. I have done my part, friends. The first one was mine alone -- I didn't think this one was going to be.

It's late. I must apologize, for my anger is always more active at these hours. Andrew, it's a pleasure to work with you. Jinglesþula has gone places I could never have taken it alone. I hope we can prepare a final version that satisfies everyone.
But I'm not going to spoon-feed it to you. (ARRGH, MATEY!!) I want it done, and I want it done NOW. Or Monday, rather.

I sincerely hope that I haven't upset anyone. That is not my intention. My intention is only to rile you up slightly, to try your patience and push the progress of our Glorious Undertaking (Hmm. That makes Jingles II sound like a Manifest Destiny concept). But I would actually really like it if there were two or even three final versions. Your style, Adnrew, is so different from mine (yours is actually good on purpose) that I think a better feeling of the truth of Jingles (which I'm trying to express) will be seen.

What is Jinglesþula, in the end? It is a symbol of the Life Eccentric. What do I mean by the Life Eccentric? It is the Band Hall. It is 'Random.' True real life, REALITY (for what it's worth) is not "the real world" as people call it. It is more like Napoleon Dynamite than most of us are willing to admit. And Jinglesþula is really a lot like Napoleon Dynamite. Real life, my beloved friends, is about cultivating our eccentricities -- the things that make each of us ourselves.

LIVE.

I apologize. I tend to wax philosophical when I ought to be sleeping (as my 12/24 post proves). And I tend to sound rather funky and new-age for the pompous and old-fashioned very-young-old-man that I am.

Let me close by saying, Andrew: you just need to see what we've done. It's very pleasing, to me and those that have seen it so far.


Well, enough of that.
Heather, that llama song is probably the funniest thing I have ever seen. Very Jinglesþula (by which I mean, random to the point of art).

Everybody is welcome to come and hear me speak in sacrament, Sunday the 16th at 1 pm at 435 N. Jackson avenue. My Mom insists for the sake of the culture that I allow a small cookie-reception later, 7 pm, at my house. But this is far from the last you'll see of me. Towards the end of this month (or the very beginning of next) I want to have a small party (or a large one) and watch "The Gods Must be Crazy" before I go.

And you should all write me. If you don't, I'll call you nasty names in Zulu behind your back. Actually, I won't. But I will miss (already do miss) my friends (that's you folks), the Band Hall, and School in general. Best of luck to you all. Jon, congratulations on your new employment; Ben, Mazal-Tov; Matt and Tiffanie, well, what can I say (don't fall?); Bretagne(Brittany), Best of luck on Thursday -- and Let me remind you of the words of Yoda:
"Judge me my size, do you? And well you should not! For my ally is the Force -- and a powerfully ally it is."
So that's my advice to you. Use your Jedi powers. 'Size,' as Yoda says, 'matters not.'; Jessica, you will pass Piano Proficiency. Search your feelings, you know it to be true.


Things others need to do while I'm not around:

Watch the Rootisms!
I suggest for this that every month or semester a new person be elected to serve this role. It is a much-needed and valued part of Band Hall Society. Remember, you get a semester off (Fall 2005) -- but don't let it die!

Be Random
Live 'la vie Jinglesþula' (cultivate your eccentricities and excellences). Need I say more.

Try to Graduate
We all want to, someday.

Write Me
Otherwise I won't know anyone when I get back. No fun.
I'll post my address later.

And so goodnight unto you all. Life is Good, Theology is valid (that is to say, there is a God), South Africa RULES. And I'm not even going there for another two months.

Sala Kahle, my friends.