Thursday, October 06, 2005

Non-violin thoughts

Y'know, TheScooze, one of Mark Maxson's cronies really brassed me off one day.

Once upon a time a couple of years ago, I sat calmly in the sacred Band Hall minding my own business (not meditating.) Suddenly, a small bird in the form of a thought lighted upon my head. I realized that I needed to do some online banking to cover a check that I had written. Pondering the locations of the various computer labs around campus, I drew a conclusion that the Dr. Maxson's Mac lab was the closest. I would only need the computer for a couple of minutes so that I could transfer some funds in my bank account. I quickly bounded up the stairs and walked into the dark lab of moss-covered desks. There, along the center aisle, glowing with the dim glow of an LCD panel was an available computer. I glanced around and took note that the lab was nearly vacant with the exception of the computers that were permanent residents. I didn't figure that I would bother anyone if I quietly used the computer I had previously seen and then left. I needed to do so quietly, indeed, for there was a stillness in that lab that felt like a lead crystal goblet: one false move and it might break.

Quietly, I scurried to the computer and launched a web browser. I proceeded about my business of transferring the funds in my bank account. The process was going very smoothly until the lab aide (cronie) approached me and asked "Have you signed in?" To which I responded, "No, I just needed to use the internet for a minute." "Well, you need to sign in to use THESE computers." Oh, that brassed me off so badly. I can walk into virtually any computer lab on campus and use the computers provided. But such is not the case with Mr. Maxson's precious Mac lab. Oh no, I might write a small shell script to prevent Final Cut Pro from editing someone's NC-17-rated movie project.

So, the moral of this story is: Don't try to use Mark Maxson's Macs unless you are prepared to sign in and also provide a substantial amount of collateral (such as cars, homes, estates, trips to Hawaii, etc.) Hmmm, I wonder if he'd take a slightly mulled-over (as in doesn't work) 80cc Honda four-stroke. :) So no, I'm not having any violent thoughts or feelings right now, but I most certainly have earlier in the week. It's been a bit of a funk for me; dunno why, it just has been.

This entire post was written in 20 seconds using Macro Express - your Windows automation tool! :)