Thursday, February 03, 2005

Afternoon of hilarity

...for me at least.

Jarrett, thank you for clarifying my point on chivalry and for giving the examples. It's always good to hear other people's take on things. It's also good to know that I'm not the only guy who thinks that guys are stupid when it comes to women. :)

So, I have to tell y'all about my great afternoon. It was 15 seconds of sheer amazement and then the entire rest of the afternoon of reflection and laughing. Price: about $23,000.

It all began in the morning as I arrived at school at about 6:45am for my 7:00am class. I parked my car in the W lot nearest the Browning Center and being there so early provided me with the closest parking stall to the building. I had parked my car facing west with the ability to pull straight out and turn left to head out of the parking lot. Anyhow, the day progressed and I met with my bando friends for Thursday lunch in the Institute. Lunch was a blast. Then, along came about 11:40am and I had to get to work. So I huffed it back over to my waiting car in the W lot. When I got there, I noticed that the car behind me was pressed against my back bumper. "That jerk," I thought. "He probably scratched my car too." Aside from that, I didn't think much else of it. So I got in my car, put it in gear and proceeded to drive forward out of the stall. As I was turning left, I caught a glimpse of the car behind me rolling past the back end of my car. The car had started its journey out of the W lot into the A lot. I was dumbfounded. I stopped my car and jumped out, half pondering whether or not to persue the runaway car and stop it or just let it crash. I chose the latter. The car happily lumbered down into the A lot, veering slightly to the right, thereby missing all the other parked cars. It jumped the curb that runs parallel to the south side of the Browning Center and took out the No Parking sign. In the process, a mudguard was torn from the car and left laying near the severely bent signpost. The car continued down the hill and was eventually stopped by a tree. The collision caused considerable damage to the front and passenger side of the car.

When the car came to rest, I ran over to it and was joined by about five other students who were in the area and heard the crash. I told them to stay where they were while I went and got the campus police. When the police arrived, which was before I actually arrived back at the scene, we filled out witness statements. During this time, the owner of the car showed up, probably just leaving from class and heading to work. Well, she was, needless to say, a bit shook up by the happenings and by the condition of her car. I never saw her again because I assume she was talking to police or something. I turned in my witness statement and was free to go on to work. I just found it sort of amusing that the crashed car had not had its parking brake set and was thereby using my car as a parking brake. When I moved, well, it moved too. I felt very badly for the girl who owned the car, but let this be a lesson: always set your parking brake.

Now, I must add that the crashed car was a brand new 2005 Mazda6, very nicely equipped. This is why I say that my fun afternoon only cost about $23,000. For the rest of the afternoon, I could not help laughing at what I was part of. It was really funny watching that car run over a sign and hit a tree all by itself.

Anyhow, that's my afternoon. When you see a bent sign along the south side of the Browning Center, you'll know what caused it.

Chao!!