Monday, January 22, 2007

Sundance

Well, I suppose it makes me a sellout, but I'm in the middle of attending Sundance '07. "Why would that make you a sellout?" you might ask. Simply because Sundance is not what it once was. It was originally envisioned as a place indpendant filmmakers could come, show their work, and get it out there. The Sundance of today is a far cry from what it once was. Studios strike deals to have their films shown, while the majority of real indie filmmakers don't get an opportunity. Those that do get in are made with the help of rich relatives and Hollywood connections. Gone are the days of Sundance truly fostering and preserving the independant filmmaker.

The reason I decided to attend was because the U offers a Sundance class for credit. All one must do is attend around 8 or 9 films, and write an 8-9 page paper on the films seen, and in return, you get 3 credit hours. I thought, "Why not? I've never been." So far, I've seen three films, all really great. I'll get some reviews up over on my personal blog in a few days for any interested parties.

Flute 12
Clarinet 12
Saxophone 13
Trumpet 26
Trombone 17
Tuba 9
Harp 11

Trumpet + (natch!), Clarinet - (I hope Nena will forgive me for that).