Tuesday, January 30, 2007

Car Problems

For those of you that don't know, I bought a new car about three years ago. The thinking was that a new car would have fewer problems than a used car, and that if there were any problems, they would be covered by warranty.

Well, I have encountered my first problem with my car. Something was making the manual transmission very sticky. I thought nothing of it at first, attributing it to the cold weather. The problem gradually got worse. I finally broke, and took it to the dealer to see what was up.

They hooked it up to the diagnostic machine and informed me that it might be the clutch assembly, or the transmission. They couldn't pinpoint the exact problem and asked me if it was okay to leave the car overnight so they could disassemble the transmission.

I kept my fingers crossed hoping it would be the transmission and not the clutch, since the transmission is covered by the warranty, and to replace the clutch would set me back $900.

This morning I got word that my clutch was completely shot, and there was also some problem with the transmission. So, here I am waiting to hear back if they got it fixed and what the dammage is. I think I can actually fight the clutch, since the problem in the transmission could have led to the clutch wearing out faster than normal. The moral of the story is, new cars are great, just be careful with them.

In other news:

Flute 14
Clarinet 11
Saxophone 13
Trumpet 25
Trombone 18
Tuba 9
Harp 10

Trumpet + (of course), Harp - (Sorry Hava)


UPDATE:
Well, as it turns out, it wasn't the transmission after all. The mechanic told me it was the pressure plate on the clutch which was completely worn down. Additionally, they found an oil leak in my engine, but that's covered (thank goodness). I guess the new moral of the story is: Don't buy a manual transmission vehicle if you don't yet know how to drive one. That, or Hyundai clutches suck.