Monday, January 22, 2007

It's been busy...

...in the Band Hall! I can't remember the last time I saw this much activity in here. It seems like we've all been very busy creating a jazz band. Jazz bands are cool. Jazz flute is usually really cool.

Anyhow, I just wanted to mention that Norton Internet Security (the suite of software with Anti-virus, firewall, and food blender) is a total piece of garbage. Never buy it. I have it on my work computer and it causes nothing but headaches for me. First off, it slows my computer down so that any hardware advantage I may have (such as broadband Internet, 1.7GHz CPU, etc) have no effect. I might as well be running an old 200MHz computer with dial-up Internet access.

Also, just today, my Norton Internet Security alerted me to the fact that I was unprotected against this certain threat. So, I clicked the button to update the virus database and after waiting for a good amount of time, it came back saying that the update failed and that I would have to run the update manually. Okay, no problem. I tried running the update manually. Still no luck. So, I clicked on a link provided by the program and it opened that crapheap Internet Explorer browser (thus promoting more insecurity) and took me to a webpage that informed me that the server was down. Of course, it didn't mention if it was just the web server or if Norton's update server is down. I'll tell you, this software is bad. I hate hate hate Norton. I will never subject myself to that kind of nonsense voluntarily. I personally like AVG or Avira better because they're smaller, lighter and free. They seem to do the job of anti-virus. I don't need all that anti-spam, anti-phish crap. I know what a spam is and I know what a phish is. So there!!

Anyhow, I just thought I had to rant for a minute. Computing on the home front is not nearly as messy. I run a tight ship at my house, and we don't have anti-virus problems. :)

Chao!