Tuesday, January 30, 2007

Car Problems?

Andrew, how many miles does your car have on it? Last I checked clutches were good for some 50 or 60,000 miles. And that really depends on the quality of the clutch build. If it's a cheap clutch, you may not get that much out of it.

I've had my car for a little over three years as well (but it's a '99 model) and it's got a problem with the front end. The previous owner crashed the car into something and then had it mostly fixed. The part he/she couldn't fix was the front end subframe which is slightly deformed on the driver's side. This causes sharp left turns to be a bit weird. If everything works out with work, I'm going to replace the subframe this summer and get everything tightened up. I want that car to track as straight as an arrow. I've been lucky with my engine and transmission. With 115,000 miles on both, they're doing pretty well. My engine develops enough torque to spin the tires freely on ice without my foot on the go button. Oh yeah, and Kristin turned over 100,000 miles in her car last week. Of course, high mileage cars are nothing new for my family. We had an '85 Suburban that we finally sold in 2005 with somewhere in the neighborhood of 350,000 miles on it. All that mileage was on one engine that had never been rebuilt. Can't say the same for the transmission. :)

So, basically, if you take care of your car, it will take care of you. Be sure to monitor all fluids, changing them when needed. Keep proper pressure in the tires. Do proper brake maintenance. You know, all the good stuff. Cars are marvelous things. They are these really complex, really finicky things that we all use to get around. Yet, somehow with all that complexity, they manage to serve us pretty well for what we ask them to do.

Flute 14
Clarinet 10
Saxophone 13
Trumpet 26
Trombone 18
Tuba 9
Harp 10

Licorice stick -, Valved Bugle +.