Friday, September 17, 2004

Three ways to Cross a River

Bach, Fiend -- Bach!
Mind you, that's J.S. Bach.

Anyway,
To the main point and purpose of my post today (this fine Frey's Day):

September the 25th is Yom Kippur, or Jewish New Year. As luck would have it, that day also marks the 19th anniversary of my birth. So I will be having festivities of appropriate grandeur.

You will notice that my previous post on this topic is gone. There's a reason for that. (It was incorrect.)

So the plan is this:
At 7 am or thereabouts that day, anyone interested should meet at the lower W lot of the Browning Center, and follow me to the Trailhead at snowbasin, from whence we will ascend Mount Ogden. The hike is 4 miles each direction, not too bad. Approximately five hours. I recommend bringing at least half-a-gallon of water, and some lunch to eat at the summit. Upon completing the descent, everyone who partcipated will recieve as my treat a Mt. Ogden cone at Farr's Ice Cream.
Thus for the first half.

At 2 pm, all are welcome to gather at my house, to which I will not post directions but rather send maps via email. Activities will be pursued: amusing games, a very funny movie that everyone who knows me should see("uncorked"), and so forth. Jinglesþula will also be shown(the first one, that is). There will be Food of Many Normal and Odd Sorts. I intend to finish fairly early, around 6 pm or so; I'm just like that. Sundown is a good time to end the day, especially after climbing a mountain.

I'd love to be let know if any of y'all is interested. Post here or email me at
arthurwheatley-at-mail-dot-weber-dot-edu. Please include your email address so I can send you a map.

The title of my post references last month's Highlights for Children Magazine, where one of the questions in the Headwork section was, "Name three ways to cross a river." Sounds like Zen. Sounds like a plot abstraction of the book "Siddartha."

"What is sweeter -- a raisin or an olive?"