Tuesday, September 06, 2005

I was afraid

that the author of one of my texts was going to be a very dry writer when he said

...we have intentionally mixed mathematical notation...and a prose phrase. This results in perfectly understandable communication; we take this liberty throughout.

However, I realized that it was not the author but the subject itself which was dry when I read the following:
Anyone who does not think that the null string is confusing has missed something. It is already a problem, and it gets worse later.

While I realize that the foregoing quotations may appear to many to be equally inane and boring, you must realized that while the subject matter of the second quote is dry, the way he wrote it is.....


Ok, for those of you still awake - on to Actually Interesting Things.

I hate computers. The laptop checkout system was down last week in the UB. Now the system is back up, but I was informed on asking about checking one out a few minutes ago that their printer - the one that makes the nice little contracts that they require you to sign before checking out a laptop - is down.

No love.

---

Sometime later that evening...

You do meet the most interesting people at TNT. If any of you haven't come to it yet at least once - shame on you. It's grand fun. And speaking of meeting, I have a meeting scheduled in a few minutes between my brain and a rusty, spiked, two-handed, iron, medieval homework problem involving a logical proof dealing with palindromes. If you said "ugly" you were right on the money.

I will celebrate Fight Procrastination Day today by not waiting until it's Google Commemoration Day tomorrow to wish you happy Google Commemoration Day. I'll do it now.

quote of the day: never put off today what you can put off tomorrow
fun of the day: TNT
more fun of the day: working on FXML v. 0.1 (more on that later)
less fun of the day: homework for my CS 4110 class
leaving Lampros of the day: right about now