Sunday, September 18, 2005

I think you're right

Heather-Marie, I have to agree with Andrew on this one. The important part of dealing with "impossible" roommates is to talk with them. Most problems arise in any sort of relationship because there is not enough communication. Whether it means that you draw up a formal contract or you simply talk about your disagreements, the communication must occurr. When trying to communicate your distaste or non-understanding of something, use what we call "I messages." An I message goes something like this: "I feel that you have a problem with..." You would say that instead of "You aren't doing this right..." It takes the finger pointing of the "You message" away and opens up a much more natural dialog between the two people. As soon as you start in with the "you, you, you" walls go up and no further progress is possible. With the "I message" you don't build up the walls and you simply state your position. This allows the other person to respond with less of a defense and more constructive language. The important part is simply to communicate. When I was on my mission, I had certain companions where this was easy and others where this was hard. It's something everyone has to deal with at some time in their lives.

Anyhow, on to more lively conversation....

In keeping with a newly-formed rule of not creating one of those "uber-long" posts my review of the Alpine Loop drive can be found here.

Ta ta!