Monday, April 11, 2005

Greetings From Africa

11 April 2005. Bloemfontein, RSA.

To all Concerned Parties and citizens of the Band Hall.

Hello everyone!
Well, it turns out that this is an email-friendly mission. So I thought a Quarterly or thereabouts Post might be welcome, especially as we're coming to the end of the semester. I apologize that I lack the internet time to read the blog regularly, but I can't afford it and honestly it's probably best that way. If you remember my wildcat email (arthur wheatley /at/ mail /dot/ weber /dot/ edu) you can contact me. Don't worry if it takes me awhile to respond. It might be coming in the post.

It is unbelievable that so much time has already passed. "Time flies on wings of lightning" as the hymn says. But let me share a few things.

I am currently serving in Bloemfontein, South Africa, capital of the province of Free State. Free State Province was at one time the independent Orange Free State, and the Anglo/Boer war was fought over this land. So you can probably guess that there are lots of Afrikaans people here. Yes, the white people 'prat afrikaans' and the black people speak primarily Sesotho. But everyone speaks English. This really is an English-speaking mission. And the Afrikaans accent is virtually impossible to imitate. Ach, Shame.

This Area is a wonderful area; we teach a great deal; the new program ("Preach My Gospel") is Powerful. This area is so good because of the members here. They have the fire of Missionary Work and eagerly share the Gospel with their friends and relatives and so on. Bloemfontein is such a fine place really because of the families here. Families are the very best for the Gospel -- even as the Gospel is very best for the Families.

Cultural notes: Well, I'll wait until some of my photos develop and then we'll see.

I would be remiss not to leave a thought of some kind, so consider with me a moment.

Our Savior, Jesus Christ, atoned for our sins, that through Him we might be clean and return to the presence of our Father in Heaven. The promises to the faithful are very powerful: Eternal Life, Eternal Joy, Eternal Love, and Eternal Progression through which we may become like our Father in Heaven -- become Deities in our own right. But the promises in this life are also exciting: Peace, Happiness, Support through trials and grief, strength to follow the commandments, continuing growth and knowledge, and so on.
There is another promise of the Atonement. Not only does it justify us, or take away our sins and negative things; but it sanctifies us, or helps us become perfect and have positive attributes. It gives us Good Things. As it says in Moroni ch. 7, every good thing comes by the Atonement and redeems us from the Fall. So beautiful, inspiring things; excellence in all pursuits of life; joy and happiness; art, music, literature, and so on -- all these come through the Atonement and help us become perfect, and redeemed from our 'carnal man'.
This brings us to the 13th Article of Faith. "If there is anything virtuous, lovely, or of good report, or praiseworthy, we seek after these things."
As we 'lay hold of every good thing' in our lives, we will grow in wisdom and in Joy. As we seek and enjoy good things (I know, I'm preaching to the choir) we will be happy.
So I challenge each of you patient enough to read this: Seek out good things. Have Joy in your life.

That's my sermon. I am the least among missionaries, but sharing these things gives me Joy. I will extend a request again for letters and emails. I wish you all the best of semesters and summers. God be with you.

With love,
Elder A. Jarrett Wheatley