Thursday, August 12, 2004

Absolutely Incredible

Makes me wonder why I don't get up at 5 am every day.

I walked out to my car this morning and happened to look up at the mountains silhouetted against the sky. Just climbing over the ridge was most of the Orion constellation, and in a direct line north from it, Venus and the crescent Moon. What a sight. And the air wasn't cold at all even though there was a slight breeze blowing. It reminded me very much of getting up that early to go to marching band in high school. We did early morning marching band back then. None of this middle-of-the-hot-and-sweaty-afternoon nonsense.

Actually, I know exactly why I don't get up at 5 every morning. And that reason will become no longer a part of my life next Saturday. Quitting a graveyard-shift job is going to feel so good. Actually, I'll miss the money and some of the people I work with, but I will become reaquainted with my regular circadian rhythm, which will be nice. I actually just got off the phone with a guy in Redding, CA who's on a fire down there that has eaten about 60 houses. So sometimes it's interesting to talk with the people who call me in the dead of night. I'll miss that, too. But I sure won't miss the people that are short on patience and tact, and long on enthusiasm for expressing themselves. PEBKAC; Eye Dee Ten Tea. My drink holder broke. Plugged in? (Is the screen black right now, by any chance?) Those are sometimes annoying, sometimes just funny. The mixed emotions of mirth and frustration are like unto a bag of Chex Mix. And now I'm just rambling.

Hearty congrats, Jeff, on tying the knot. And, yes, we had a wonderful time on the trip.

Jessica, as far as I know, Band Camp will be the week before school starts from 8am to 3pm. Bring water, sunscreen, and $5 (pay to me). I don't know why the $5 for me, other than then I could buy myself a quicker wit. The one I've got has been a bit slow of late. Or maybe I'll use it to buy enough toothpicks and glue to make my very own arts-n-crafts version of an A parking pass.

I've been convinced that to feel inside like one does when one is on a carnival ride such as Freestyle (e.g. your internal organs feel like they're playing Red Rover), one does not actually have to be on such a ride if the circumstances are just right. At least that's what it reminded me of. Great big adrenaline rush and euphoric feeling and stomach doing a flip. Good times, good times. In the Olympia I was a bit confused, yet looking forward to more confusion. Now things seem clear, and I'm tired and going to go put my head on my pillow. What an Adventure. Happy.

tune of the day: As Time Goes By

Jeg glaeder mig til Loerdag. Og i morgen, faktisk.

Go Bears.