Friday, November 18, 2005

Awesome (*spoiler*)... er, I mean (*long post*)

There are several things that are awesome of late.

Accuse me of presentism if you will, but I don't think the US would cover up a meltdown if one happened. On the other hand, there were those nuclear tests back in the day out in the west desert the dangers of which our government was decidedly irresponsible about. Jason, I'm glad you posted that link to Wormwood. Sobering and good to be aware of. I knew of the incident but the extent and awful reality of it is driven home by the gal's drives through the area.

Hmm... what else inspires awe? Well, just about any time there's demandage avec succès. N'est pas, Msr. Ben le Roi?

Also, along similar lines, I'm so totally going to see that Potter guy in that one movie tonight. I'm sorry BrittChap, about not going with y'all's group at 12:01 this morning, but the tickets for the midnight showings were all gone by the time I got over there to make the purchase.

And speaking of purchases and awesome, that Harry Potter ticket purchase is the last purchase I will make at the Newgate Mall until the mall starts regulating the advertising content of its stores (or the stores take responsibility for their own advertising). Yes, friends - that's right. It's boycott time. See, I was given a flier by a young lady who was a part of the boycott the other while and I figgur'd it was a good cause and that I'd join up. It's good to see people not sitting down and taking such stuff without making a peep. What am I off about, you might ask? Well, it all began when Victoria's Secret decided to display (according to the flier I recieved and the MSNBC story that covered the issue nationally) nearly nude mannequins in overtly sexual poses. Don't get me wrong - I'm not saying we should go around taking away peoples' moral agency. Unless of course their use of freedom of choice enfringes on the right of those who want to walk through the public areas of the mall without being presented with that kind of material (or parents who want to take their kids there or let their kids hang out there with their friends). I'm a libertarian in the sense that I think people should be allowed to pretty much do what they want as long as it doesn't enfringe on basic ethical principles or tread on the rights of others. And there's nothing wrong with using boycotting as a way to get your opinion across. That said, if there's anyone else who cares to join me, I'll be delivering notices to the mall's stores' managers letting them know of the movement and encouraging them to work with the mall management to develop a decency policy.

“Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful committed citizens can change the world.

Indeed it is the only thing that ever has.” Margaret Mead

Today is Friday. Again: awesome.

More later.