Wednesday, December 29, 2004

Gotta love that Windows 95!

Okay, so I got the Mother of all Errors today.

I was running Windows 95 as a virtual machine to do some testing and suddenly I was met rather hastily with this Win3.1-esque error window that said:

Error loading Explorer.exe
You need to reinstall Windows.

The only button on the box was [OK]. Uh, no [Cancel]? No [Let's Try to Rethink Life]? Just [OK]. So I clicked [OK] and waited as the virtual machine froze up. I then shut down the virtual machine and then rebooted it. Fortunately, there is no harm done. Reinstalling a virtual machine isn't as big a deal as reinstalling a real machine, but it does take a long time. So, needless to say, I was relieved to discover that my Windows 95 virtual machine passed unscathed.

For those of you wondering "What the crap is a virtual machine?", I have a tidbit of information for you. A virtual machine is a machine that runs on another machine. For instance, on my computer at home, I run Windows Server 2003. But, to avoid having to have another computer, I have a virtual machine set up on my Windows Server which runs Windows XP. So, with the virtual machine concept, I essentially have a Windows XP computer that runs on a Windows Server 2003 computer. It makes it so that I can run Windows XP stuff without having to buy a separate computer for Windows XP. :)

May the Force be with you.