Wednesday, January 11, 2006

as your local fence-sitter...

I have to agree that the war effort is probably more than what any of us would like to have spent. Indeed, it may be even ludicrous. But, if "experts" are saying that it will cost $2Trillion, where are they getting that figure? Do you realize that 2 trillion is 2 thousand-billion? That's a helluva lot of money. So, in all fairness, I would like to know where the figure of $2T comes from. Also, I would like to point out that while we are experiencing casualties in the war in Iraq, there are many more unseen things, good things, that are happening over there. Now, don't get me wrong, I'm not a big Bush supporter or pro-Republican nut-job; I just like to look at things from more than just one side of the coin. If you are also interested, I do not believe any of the stuff coming out of Michael Moore. I don't believe that man would defend his country if it were the last cause on Earth. He's just out to get one for himself. But, that's neither here nor there. Like I said before, I like to look at issues carefully before forming a decision and saying it's either all good or all bad. For instance, while the war is costing American lives, it is also bringing a new freedom to millions of Iraqi citizens, both in Iraq and abroad. We are in the process of witnessing the nation of Iraq coming from the dark, oppressive closet of a dictatorial regime into the light of democracy and freedom. Yes, it may be a large up-front cost, but if you think of the other side of the coin, you may see the global impact of a free Iraq.

Anyhow, I do not mean to start a flame war and if one starts, I will do all I can to stop it. I just like to give people the benefit of a non-biased approach. Don't we live in a society that has as one of its tenets "Innocent until proven guilty?"

We have a multi-party system in this country for checks and balances. The differing parties have the opportunity (and do take it liberally) to disagree. This keeps one party from having too much clout. When one party takes over, we have situations like what happened in Iraq, Nazi Germany, North Korea and others where there exists a government that serves itself and oppresses the people.

I did call myself a fence-sitter. This is because I'm neither a Republican nor a Democrat. I think that each party has wonderful ideas and plans to "promote the general welfare." However, I also find that they both have tenets that I find disturbing and oppressive. So, I prefer to make decisions on a case-by-case basis and trust that someone in authority probably has a better view on something than I do. If there is something I disagree with, I try to make my opinion heard.

Anyway, take it easy! Try not to roast me too badly. I am allergic to pain, after all. :)