Saturday, February 24, 2007

Blogger Has A Bug

There is a bug in the Blogger interface that I have been fighting with ever since I started blogging on it. I think that Blogger provides a wonderful service and I have really enjoyed being able to participate in it. However, this one bug just burns my hide from time to time.

The problem is that there is no way to specifically publish in the default font for whichever blog you are publishing to. Okay, that was a mouthful. Basically, what I'm saying is that everything is fine and dandy until I decide to change fonts while writing a blog. Occasionally, I want to demonstrate Linux/Unix commands or snippets of code in my blog posting. The convention for doing this is to have your commands appear in Courier font, so as to separate them from the main article. I can do that just fine. But, once I want to return to the original font of the posting, how do I do that? The problem also extends to the fact that the editor uses a specific font that may be different from what the published blog's font will be. See the problem?

I tend to feel that the editor should really have no font specified, and that there should be a "Default Blog Font" option on the Font pull-down menu. This option will allow the user to return to the default font for that particular blog if they have temporarily specified a different font.

Now, I know there's a workaround for the font problem that I'm having. Namely, one would write their entire blog without specifying a font and then go back and specify a font for those parts that need specifying. But, that feels like a workaround.

Anyhow, I just thought I'd vent a bit.

Take it easy, y'all!