Thursday, April 20, 2006

A visit from the...

...Backup Fairy can be a very disastrous thing. Just ask any of the admins who watch over WebCT Vista. The Backup Fairy makes sure that you have been keeping proper backups of data and settings by causing a need to use the backups to recover. Unfortunately, I seem to be in a bit of a Backup Fairy situation right now with my Linux server, Persephone. Most everything still works on my server, just v-e-r-y s-l-o-w-l-y. For instance, it takes about 30 seconds to authenticate when logging in. Rendering web pages can take even longer. And to top it off, it's filling up my web server error logs with thousands of broken pipe errors. So, Backup Fairy? Perhaps. I'll let it be for a day or two and keep researching the problem. I do have current backups of all important files on the system, so I'm not too freaked out by it. It's just kind of a bummer because just when I get my server working just the way I want it, it craps out on me and decides to go on holiday. So far, my Linux server has been an ultra-reliable machine. It works day and night and never complains about anything. It's been up almost constantly since Christmas with only short periods of downtime for maintenance. I think it's only been rebooted three times since Christmas, so if that doesn't say anything, nothing will.

Hasta la Charlie!