Tuesday, November 21, 2006

Trumpets up, violins down

Flute 10
Clarinet 8
Saxophone 12
Trumpet 13
Trombone 10
Tuba 13
French Horn 11
Violin 5
Viola 7
Harp 11

And thus we see that something will happen.

So, I have a question. What the heck do you do with 60GB or 80GB of storage for music? I have an mp3 collection that spans two DVDs, and now about 7 CDs. I don't think that's even approaching 30 GB yet. You'd have to have an enormous music collection to fill one of those bigger iPods. Now, I understand that many folks have movies on them, and I can easily see taking up 80 gigs with movies, but if I just wanted to have music on it, how many songs is that? Wow! I think with that much space, I could put enough music to listen to it for two or three weeks straight and never hear the same song twice. That blows me away.

I'm not criticizing it in any way. I'm just saying that it's incredible to have that much space devoted to music. And I'm sure there are geeks out there with iPods chock full of music, most of which they've never listened to.

To put it into perspective, I can stuff about 150 songs onto a CD in mp3 format. That's 150 songs per 800MB or ~.8GB. Now, that's about 1% of an 80GB iPod capacity. By that logic, I think you might be able to fit 15,000 songs onto an 80GB iPod, assuming AAC requires approximately the same storage as mp3 and WMA. Wow. That's a crapload of music.