Saturday, August 12, 2006

Speaking of...

Well, I just got back from another camping trip to Flaming George with my student ward. What fun. My friend Nate had a 12-man tent (that's 6-man tent in layman's) that we slept in. We stayed at Antelope Flats. For those of you who haven't been there it is basically sagebrush and nothing down to the water's edge. We went up Thursday morning. Tin foil dinners. We played Bang! that everning. Bang! is a fun card game that everyone should try. The next day we went out wakeboarding and tubing. Some guy named Robbie had a huge 4-person tube (about 8 ft. across) and a screamin' fast boat. And he could drive that sucker. I was on the first group to go out. He let the line go tight and then would take off and turn hard so the tube would go skipping sideways over the wake and across the chop. We had to hold on tightly just to keep from being thrown to the... ouch of hitting the water at 30 mph. His boat could go 50 or 60, but I doubt he was taking us that fast. Sometimes the tube would drop 3 or 4 feet off the side of the wake. He would also take you in a big loop which made a big wake and then double back and slide the tube sideways pretty fast across the wake from the first pass. Very jarring and very fun. My knuckles are all bruised from hitting the tube. It was as good as most theme park rides I've been on, and even better since there was more of a chance of being thrown from the ride. We were laughing and screaming the whole time. And today I am quite sore, but I'll still go play ultimate here in a little while. We also played Bocce around camp which, aside from the pavillion and campsites and trails, was very un-level and covered with sagebrush and cacti. One place the marker ball got thrown was near where a couple of rabbits were hiding which got scared up when we started lobbing balls at it (at the marker ball, that is - we didn't know the rabbits were there until we started aiming for the marker). The balls were red, yellow, blue, and green which reminded me of Google Earth. Le Sigh. That's the drawback of being a geek: when you go camping you have tech withdrawl for a while. There was glass on the water most of the time with the exception of a few breif rainstorms. We toasted Starbursts and had great dutch oven and devotionals and a lot of that very important element of camping: sitting around doing nothing in the middle of nowhere. Desiree's boat stripped a gear in the starter, so they only got to take it out once, but there were several other boats to go out on. Nate's had a decent sound system in it and I hooked up my PMP (personal media player) and tape adapter to it for tuneful cruising. I'm sore and tired and happy.

Ricky, sounds like you're having a blast. Although, by the time you read this you will likely be done with finals. I imagine you're looking forward to these finals much more than the finals you have for school each semester. I can't wait to hear stories and watch your show. I wish I could've been here for the Jordan Commons showing.

I got bored at work the other day. Pictures will be posted soon.