Monday, March 27, 2006

Woo Hoo!

Someone's alive out there! I was about to say something crass and see if anyone perked up at that, but then my conscience got the best of me. :) Just kidding. No crass-ness here.

Okay, I have to faunch for a while. I'm really frustrated with some things right at this moment and I just need to get it off my chest. First: Norton Anti-Virus SUCKS. It's a big, fat pig that uses every available system resource that it can find. It's update manager runs on steam, I think. It's freaking slow and bloated. Next, Windows Vista, the next version of Microsoft's flagship product, currently in Beta status, really sucks. It's huge, slow, and stuff just doesn't work. It's user interface is a bad ripoff of Mac OS X and it doesn't even look cool. It looks corporate and well, Microsoftian. Finally, why in the name of all that's holy and pure do brand-name computers (Dell, HP, Com[crap], Apple, etc.) not have hardware reset buttons? If the system ever becomes unresponsive and needs to be shut down, you have to hold the freakin' power switch for five seconds before the blasted thing gives up. Any DIY-ers out there have a hardware reset button that allows you to quickly reboot the machine.

*panting*

I guess the reason that I'm faunching about all this is because I just wasted the last hour fiddling with Windows Vista and its inability to determine whether a program is installed or not. I hope that when Vista (Long-in-the-tooth) finally ships that Micro$oft works out the Oh Duh! stuff.

Hey Jon, I have a proposition for you: What do you think of a community chess game on the Band Blog? Kristin and I were brainstorming some ideas the other day and thought it would seriously rock if there was a chess game or something on the band blog where people could randomly stop by and make moves. The system would keep track of the turn and the game play, but otherwise it would be totally open to anyone who wanted to play. For instance, someone could just make a move on the board and then check back later to see how others have done playing the game. There would probably need to be an option for an actual chess game where those more interested could actually sit down and play against the computer or an opponent, but the main concept would be just an open board. I recently installed a chess game on my server in which a player logs in and starts a game. He/she then waits for an opponent and is notified via email of requests to join the game. It's cool, but it's a little bit geeky seeing as it's really chess by email. :)

Anyhow, talk at y'all later!