Monday, March 14, 2005

This just in...

Jarrett respectfully requested that I post the following here:

7 March 2005, Bloemfontein, South Africa

Howzit?
Well, I am doing wonderful. It is beatiful here in Bloemfontein (my first area) -- nice and warm. South Africa reminds me very much of California. The food is good (and the cost of living low).
I have met some amazing people. I'll tell you about one I haven't met yet. He's the father of a recent convert. Though he doesn't want the missionaries, he (a minister of another congregation) is not only reading the Book of Mormon but is using it in his sermons. We'll see what happens after a little bit of time passes, yes?
Bloemfontein is ON FIRE. I haven't been tracting yet, and I got here Thursday night. We spend all of our time teaching. The new program works, you see; and the members here are more excited about missionary work than just about anybody I've ever met in the States. We have (though I'm not really responsible for them) Three baptisms next Sunday. One is a convert named Palesa and the others are Children-of-record. Palesa lives in one of the townships. Now townships are an interesting thing. Some townships are made up of very nice but very small houses;
others of corrugated tin Shacks.
Let me tell you, my first day here was spent staring about with my mouth open. Half the people speak Sotho and the other half (most of the white people) speak Afrikaans. Afrikaaners are Great People. Stubborn as the day is long, but usually stubborn for good things.
It's interesting to see that the absolutely wretched and destitute people, the ones that live in the 'Squatter Camps' and shacks, are very happy. Simpler and Happier than many Americans. Most Americans.
It's great to be out here, and a joy to be serving the Lord. I have no Idea what I did to deserve it, but I am here at this time. I feel like an Israelite, eating the fruit of vineyards I didn't plant. God Bless you; the Church is true; the new missionary program is entirely too cool; life is good.
Anyhow. Please write me (I'm sorry, you can't email). You know you want to.
Stay well!

Elder A. Jarrett Wheatley