Thursday, April 05, 2007

Jingles the Website

That's a pretty frackin' cool logo, eh. I'd certainly put it on my pirate ship. Hey, wait just one frackin' minute! What a great idea I just had. How's about we make little flags of the Jingles "Jolly Roger" and fly them from our pirate ship masts (meaning car antennas)? Yea/Nay.

So, speaking of sites going live, my own website has now gone live. Schillclan.net is now it's own domain name. :) I registered the domain name with GoDaddy and I'm hosting the site myself. It's on a Red Hat 9 Linux box running on a 1.3GHz AMD Duron with 512 MB of RAM. I love that machine. It's rock solid and never crashes. However, it has four internal fans and therefore is quite loud. It's a good thing that the poor machine is out of my bedroom. :) It was driving Kristin crazy. Hmmm. By the looks of things, I have already announced my website on this forum. Oh well, it never hurts to advertise a little.

So Jeff, you're wondering about Piece of Crap, er, I mean, Vista, eh. Oooh boy, do I have stories to tell! When they said "The Wow starts now" they weren't kidding. It's like "Wow, I can't believe I have to have 2 gigs of video RAM just to use this operating system." And "Wow, that new 160 gig hard drive I just bought doesn't seem so big anymore with Vista." I think it's all Microsoft's big April Fools joke. The only problem is that it keeps on going. Frankly, for $5B and 5 years of R&D, they really should have "Wow"ed us, but they didn't. You can stick with Windows XP and install WindowBlinds with all the fun GUI enhancements that Vista brings you. And you can do it all without that stupid "Allow/Deny" User Account Control security watchdog thingamajig popping up every two seconds. That gets old very fast.

Jeff, if you really want to try out Vista, I have a copy of Vista RC1 (I know, it's not the retail version, but I don't have $400 to spend on Microsoft). I'll give you this copy of Vista. It even has a license code. Keep in mind that it does expire in July, but you ought to get a good feel for it by then. Personal opinion: Windows Vista is a culmination of all the lessons that Microsoft didn't learn from Windows Me. For all the fireworks and ballyhooing, it really sucks. I just think we should all switch over to Linux and run a truly powerful operating system that doesn't crash and doesn't require a hyper gaming rig to run.

So that's my rant for the evening. I do hope to have my house at least presentable in the next few weeks to host a cool band geeks party complete with movies. :) Stay tuned. We've got it all on UHF.

Hasta la pasta!

Food recommendation of the while: Cafe Rio Pork Barbacoa Burrito enchilada style. Complete with mild green sauce and salsa on the side. Mmmm. Good.