Friday, September 15, 2006

Bureaucratese

Jon, the link in your last post was awesome! In my Engl3100 class, we talked about Bureaucratese, or inside language, that is generally very pointed at a certain group of people. The movie that you linked is a beautiful, shining example of bureaucratese. I sent it to my instructor and she emailed me back and said that she really enjoyed it. So that may be used a few times in class. :)

Also, that time machine with the luminescent droplets was incredible. I would love to see a demonstration of that live. Of course, you'd have to do it in a fairly dark room or it would be ruined. It was very awesome. Thanks for sharing.


New subject...

I was reading this guy's blog the other day and he said that BMW and Mercedes were the only worthy car manufacturers in the world and that Audi was a close second to those. He later blatantly said that the Big 3 U.S. manufacturers (Ford, GM and Chrysler) should cease and desist because their products are not worthy of being produced. Okay, personal gripe here: I really have a fascination with all things American, especially the American automobile. American car models are accessible. For instance, how many folks have been able to purchase a Buick Electa versus how many folks have been able to buy a Mercedes-Benz C Class? BMW and Mercedes are premium cars -- not accessible. And on top of that, the Electra was a nice car. It was comfy and rode smooth and was very well suited for long drives. The last time I rode in one of those Euro-barges, it was nice inside, but not intended for long drives. They're commuter cars. Also, have you ever seen how BMWs and Mercedes rust? It's awful! You'd think with all that German engineering, they could engineer some better rust protection.

Anyhow, I hate to bring that personal sidenote into a public forum, but it's just been bothering me for a couple of days. Americans can make good products. We understand the clientelle that we cater to. I just don't like this "Foreign only" mentality.

Ta Ta!