Sunday, July 16, 2006

...and then they made me their Chief.

Yesterday (Saturday), I went with Kristin and her sister to see Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Man's Chest. I'm only here to report that if you want a really fast, action-packed ride with no discernable point, you should go and see this film. I'm not saying that the movie is bad; I'm just saying that it really felt, to me, at least, to be a stopgap between The Curse of the Black Pearl and At World's End. The action was almost nonstop and the monsters and villains under the command of the ultra-baddie, Davy Jones, are a bit scary for younger audiences. This is why the movie is rated PG-13. That's 13, folks, not 1.3. So, please, if you have young brothers, sisters, or cousins, don't take them to see this film. That's a major pet peeve of mine, when folks bring their little babies to see these PG-13-rated films "because it's a Disney movie." There are some things in Dead Man's Chest that, in my opinion, exist solely for the purpose of ramping up the gross-out factor, but they are done tastefully and sometimes, even done humorously. (The effects guys must've had a blast at Mr. Depp's expense in one particular scene. He seems to beg for that kind of treatment in his films - think Sleepy Hollow. Anyhow, it was a pretty enjoyable movie, but I am definitely pumped up to see the third installment of Pirates: At World's End. I just hope they don't add everything you see in this movie to the Disneyland attraction. I know they've done some extensive remodeling since the first film, but I hope they don't use the films as a license to severely revamp a classic ride.

Now, on to the purpose of this blog entry: a movie trailer attached to Dead Man's Chest. The DCI World Championship Quarterfinals are coming to Jordan Landing on August 10. Get your tickets!